Here we go!

Brightly colored flags, unique clothing, and vivid decorations scatter the scene. The room is dark, but you can almost feel the presence of thousands of people packed like sardines into the church pews. Five shining humans stand separate upon the spotlit stage, individually sharing pieces of their experiences from their time as an Student Missionary. Enraptured, Kristen sits at the edge of her seat, eyes glued to the speakers. “I want this. I want these experiences. I want to serve and let God use me in miraculous ways that I haven't explored before,” she thought to herself. 

At the end of the service, a call was made for those wanting to pursue this path. Kristen, eyes sparkling, found herself at the bottom of the steps to the platform, along with thirty-ish other kids. “This is gonna be awesome,” she pondered, smiling. 


So. 


Here she is- Kristen Shields, in the digital flesh. 


It’s been a year and a half since that vespers, but I still remember it’s impact on me. It’s influence still lingers inside. It’s not like those TV commercials that make you feel like you need the newest ultra-fast sports-edition airfryer right this instant. It’s more like an awakening in me to something I didn’t realize was there before--the desire to serve, to step outside what is expected, to love radically in different ways than I’m used to.


It's T-minus 4 hours until I am in a giant metal canister speeding toward my distant destination in Bolivia at high velocities in the great blue sky. 


Am I terrified? Oh, absolutely. But I am also excited. I’ve prayed and prayed about this for a while, and the conclusion I always find myself at is this: My God will never forsake me, He will be with me in every situation, and He has paved this path for me. When I am with Him, there is nowhere that I can go that He has not gone already before me to prepare the way. 


I have talked to several previous SM’s from Bolivia, so I feel like I have some reasonable expectations of what is to come… I expect it will be hard. 


When I typed Rurrenabaque (where Familia Feliz is located) into Google, the third picture to show up was of a giant tarantula! Apparently they are indigenous to that region. Well, great. I’ve also read of giant poisonous ants that make you sick for days if they bite you and big fat snakes that don’t mess around. I’m becoming aware of my first-world expectations that I’ve grown up with, so those of you reading this who are familiar with conditions similar to these--please be patient with me while I adjust haha. 


But most importantly, I also know that it will take time for the kids to trust and respect me. Especially because I am not fluent in Spanish--this is what I am most concerned about honestly. But I know that I'll pick it up eventually, I just need to be patient with myself. I also want to be a good example and act with wisdom and love to the kids there--kids who have layers of trauma I will probably never understand. 


So, I plan to write about every two or three weeks (I’ve heard the days are pretty busy there, so I am not sure how much time I’ll have). I’ll try to share pictures and videos too. I’m also not sure how long or short these posts will be, but I guess that’s part of the fun! This blog will essentially be a place for me to share my thoughts, stories, and lessons that I gleaned from The Year I Gave to Him. 


Please keep me in your prayers in the following weeks! 


Much love,

Kris <3





Comments

Popular Posts